Xiong Zhang, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
The University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK 99775
1. Professional Preparation
• Research Associate IV Louisiana Transportation Research Center 10/05-08/06
• Postdoctoral Research Associate Texas A&M University, College station, TX 10/05-08/04
• Graduate Research Assistant Texas A&M University, College station, TX 08/00-08/04
• Ph.D in Geotechnical Engineering Texas A&M University, College station, TX 2004
• M.S. in Geotechnical Engineering China Institute of Water Resources & Hydropower
Research (IWHR), Beijing, China 1995
• B.S. in Geotechnical Engineering Tongji University, Shanghai, China 1992
• Associate Professor University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK 07/2011–Pres.
• Assistant Professor University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK 08/06–07/11
• Research Associate Louisiana Transportation Research Center, LA 10/05–08/06
• Post-Doctoral Research Associate Texas A&M University, College station, TX 08/04–10/05
• Graduate Research Assistant Texas A&M University, College station, TX 08/00–08/04
3. Related Publications
1. Li, L., Zhang, X., & Chen, G., (2012). “A Novel Refraction Correction Photogrammetric Method on Monitoring Volume Change of Unsaturated Soil during Triaxial Test.” Submitted to Géotechnique.
2. Li, L., & Zhang, X., (2012). “Deformation Monitoring of Triaxial Cell by Photogrammetric Method.” Submitted to First Pan-American Conference on Unsaturated Soils.
3. Zhang, X. and Lytton, R.L. (2009). “A Modified State Surface Approach on Unsaturated Soil Behavior Study (I) Basic Concept.” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Volume 46, Number 5, pp. 536-552.
4. Zhang, X. and Lytton, R.L. (2009). “A Modified State Surface Approach on Unsaturated Soil Behavior Study (II) General Formulation.” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Volume 46, Number 5, pp. 553-570.
5. Zhang, X. and Lytton, R.L. (2012). “A Modified State Surface Approach on Unsaturated Soil Behavior Study ((III) Modeling of Coupled Hydro-mechanical Effect.” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Volume 49, Number 1, pp. 98-120, 10.1139/t11-089
6. Zhang X., Liu, J. and Li, P. (2010). “A New Method to Determine the Shapes of Yield Curves for Unsaturated Soils,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Volume 136, Issue 1, pp. 239-247
7. Zhang, X. and Li, L. (2011). “Some Limitations in the Constitutive Modeling of Unsaturated Soils and Solutions.” ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics, Volume 11, Number 3, pp 174-185.
8. Zhang, X. and Xiao, M. “Using Modified State Surface Approach to Select Parameter Values in the Barcelona Basic Model.” International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics (Accepted with minor revisions)
9. Zhang, X. (2012) “Limitations of the suction controlled tests in the characterization of constitutive behavior of unsaturated soils.” Geotechnique (under review)..
10. Zhang, X. (2010). “Use of Results from Undrained Tests for the Constitutive Modeling of Unsaturated Soils.” 5th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, September 6-8, 2010, Barcelona, Spain.
4. Synergistic Activities
Supervision of Undergraduate Students
• Nicholas Belmont (current M.S.), Wendy Presler (Female, current M.S.), Travis Donovan, Gregory Smith, Jonathan Hutchinson (current M.S.), Tyler Dyes, Chad Odom
• Recruitment of undergraduate and graduate students for graduate studies at the UAF, and universities in China through campus visits and presentations, and conference workshops and meetings, etc. (2006 – present)
• Short Course on Shrink-Swell Soils, ASCE Geo-Institute Workshop (2004)
• ASCE live webinar: Introduction to Constitutive Modeling of Unsaturated Soils (2011)
• Conference Chair/Technical Committee- International Conference on Scour of Foundations, 4th Int. Conf. on Unsaturated Soils, GeoCongress 2008, GeoHunan 2009, GeoShanghai 2010
• Editorial Review Board – Geomechanics and Engineering, An International Journal (GAE)
• Review for Funding Agencies, Journals and Conferences – National Science Foundation, ASCE
Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Geotechnique, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, Transportation Research Board Annual meeting, Composites Part B: Engineering, International Journal of Physical Sciences, 4th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, GeoShanghai International Conference 2006, Ninth International Permafrost Conference, GeoCongress 2008and 2009, GeoHunan 2009, US-China Workshop on Ground Improvement, 2009, International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways, and Airfields
• Technical Committee Member – TRB Unsaturated Soil Committee, TRB Soil and Rock Instrumentation Committee, ASCE Geo-Institute Pavement Committee, ASCE Geo-Institute Shallow Foundation Committee, ASCE Geo-Institute Unsaturated Soil Committee,
• American Society of Civil Engineers
• American Society of Engineering Education
5. Collaborators & Other Affiliations
Past & Current Collaborators Mingjiang Tao (RPI), Laureano Hoyos (UTA), Radhey Sharma (LSU), Xiong Yu (Case Western Reserve), Jie Zhang (NMSU), Dar-Hao Chen (Texas DOT), Erol Tutumber (UIUC).
Graduate & Postdoctoral Advisors M.S. Advisor: Jie Liu (IWHR, China), Ph.D Advisor: Jean-Louis Briaud (TAMU), Postdoc Advisor: Robert L. Lytton (TAMU), Research Associate Advisor: Murad Abu-Farsakh (LTRC)
Advised Dissertations & Theses
• 1 Ph.D. Dissertations – Lin Li (progress)
• 5 M.S. Theses – Nicholas Belmont (current M.S.), Lin Li (M.S.), Liangbiao Chen (M.S.), Wendy Presler (Female, current M.S.), Chuang Lin ((Current M.S.).
Texas A&M University, China Institute of Water Resources & Hydropower, Tongji University, Shanghai, China 1992